Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Neighbors--Who are they?

First let me tell how I grew up. I grew up in the country with fields on all sides of our house. There were two houses which had my grandparents and individuals who I later called my grandparents as well.  The other neighbors a ways down the road. If there were no crops you could see their houses.

I hate when we drive through some neighborhoods and see houses so close together that maybe you could see inside their bathroom.

The house my family lives at has a decent back yard. We have lived here for over 10 years. There is an open yard that is part of one of the neighbors behind us.  For many years, we have walked through that yard to walk to another neighbor's house.  We spend a great deal of time at that neighbor's house. My husband drinks beer, we chat about many topics and sit around a fire. I come over there often to share a new recipe I have made.  Recently, the neighbor who has the open yard next to his house has put up a fence.  He put in this fence because he has an expensive dog he wants to keep in the yard.  One of the discussions I heard was that there would a gate at both ends so we could still walk through to the neighbor's house. Well, instead he put a gate which a key lock. The neighbor that lives next to us has a key and the neighbor behind us has a key.  I am a little perturbed with this whole situation.  They say don't trust the kids in keeping it closed so they went with a key lock.  The neighbor that put this fence in knew very well that we walk through there all the time.   Well, now the neighbor's house that we spend so much time at, I won't be going there very often now.  The only way we can get there is to drive there which is only less than block because it is behind us. Or I could walk, which most days I get home from work and I want to stay off my feet.  My husband has been bugging the one neighbor to put a gate in so we can just walk into his yard instead of walking around.

Sometimes people know the neighbors that live around them. Some people do not socialize at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment